Is It Time For a Bathroom Remodel?
Whether you’re buying, selling or simply want to update that late ‘80s, rose-colored powder room, a bathroom remodel can provide a great return on investment (ROI). In fact, remodeling’s 2016 Cost vs. Value Report recently revealed a nationwide 65.7 percent ROI for most bathroom remodels.
In some cases, homeowners remodel their bathroom purely out of preference, focusing efforts on redesigning the ultimate oasis where they go to relax day after day. In other scenarios, homeowners have to consider a bathroom remodel to solve a functional issue.
Below, we discuss numerous signs that indicate it might be time for a bathroom remodel:
- ‘Wear And Tear’ Becomes Increasingly Apparent. Obviously, over time, anyone will notice a bit of wear and tear in a bathroom, especially considering that the bathroom is one of the most frequently used rooms in a house. However, sometimes damage can reach a point of no return. If you notice that your bathroom has moisture damage, flaking tile grout or yellowed tiles, it’s probably time to remodel. While some of these issues might be considered aesthetic, they can eventually become hazardous (i.e., if you have an older home, flaking paint could be laced with toxic lead). Furthermore, many older homes are subject to countless problems, including asbestos.
- Cases of Mold. If the shower area (or other parts of the bathroom) is frequently turning shades of green or black due to mold, it’s definitely time for some remodeling work. Your bathroom may look shiny and beautiful, but even a minor mold problem can eventually wreak havoc on your family’s health. Bleach can take out minor mold, however, if you suspect you have a bigger problem, look into getting a professional bathroom remodeling contractor who deals with mold testing and remediation before forging ahead with your remodel plans.
- Old or Leaky Bathroom Fixtures. Today, more and more buyers are looking for eco-friendly items in a house. If your toilet is more than 10 years old, you may want to swap it out for a more water-efficient model. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, toilets guzzle approximately 30 percent of water used indoors. Look for a toilet with the EPA’s WaterSense label, which uses 1.28 gallons per flush — about 20 percent less water than models without the designation. This can add up to a savings of 13,000 gallons of water per year. Don’t forget to include your shower faucet in this scenario, too.
- Other Random Leaks:Potential homebuyers don’t want to see leaking fixtures or stains in a bathroom. Make sure to repair any leaky faucet, showerhead or toilet. Also, be sure to install a new bathtub or liner – it can drastically improve things if your tub has cracks or is getting a yellowish, stained appearance. Remember, if you’re installing a new shower, the drain should always be at a slight angle so water can drain properly.
- Your Bathroom Doesn’t Have Adequate Storage Options. Is your bathroom sink hidden under an array of cosmetics or toiletries? Is the bathtub ledge blanketed with 10+ soap and shampoo bottles? If your bathroom always seems to be constantly disorganized, it might be time to consider redesigning your bathroom’s storage capabilities via a remodel.
- Preparing to Sell Your House. If you’re getting ready to put your house on the market, you probably want your bathroom looking its best. Consider updating the:
- Hardware: Function is important. New cabinet hardware is an affordable way to make your bathroom more appealing.
- Paint: This is by far the best way to have a dramatic effect for little cost. A fresh coat in an updated color – blues and grays are favorites for bathrooms – can do wonders.
- Cabinet with countertop/vanity: Consider installing a transitional-style model that combines traditional and contemporary.
The Bottom Line
Remodeling a bathroom can be both fun and overwhelming. As your local Arizona bathroom remodeling contractors, we understand the stressful process that homeowners go through when attempting to remodel any room in their home.
A successful bathroom remodeling project can have a major impact on your home. It can even help you enjoy your own spa-like atmosphere right in the comfort of your own property. At Republic West Remodeling, we are committed to providing a great experience to you throughout the entire bathroom remodeling process – from creative design to detailed planning to execution and construction.
If you are ready to remodel your bathroom, but have no idea where to start, contact Republic West Remodeling today.