Questions to Ask Yourself Before a Kitchen Remodel
There are a number of things you will need to do in order to prepare for an upcoming kitchen remodeling project. Any type of home renovation or remodeling project requires a number of preparation tasks, actually. Proper planning is critical to ensuring that your project goes smoothly, with as little stress as possible. Thinking carefully about the project and your goal for the new space very early in the process will help you come up with a detailed plan that will greatly increase the odds that you will be very happy with the final outcome.
Even when you are still in the very initial phase, perhaps just contemplating the possibility of a kitchen remodel, there are some important steps that can have a major impact on how the project unfolds.
One of the critical first steps is to identify your goals and priorities for this new space. While it can be tempting to focus solely on the look of the new kitchen and all of the shiny, fancy toys you plan to put in that space, you need to think beyond just appearances. Yes, the look of your new room matters, but you must also consider the practical issues. While that is true for any type of home renovation job, it is particularly important for a kitchen remodel, because this is a space that will serve many necessary and vital functions.
It isn’t enough for your new kitchen to just look good. It must also be comfortable and functional, so that you can accomplish all of the tasks you will do in the kitchen efficiently.
One of the first steps in identifying your goals for your new kitchen is to evaluate your current space, and pinpoint things that don’t work well for you now, or areas in which your current setup is lacking. What are your biggest challenges or pain points? Think about what you can’t do efficiently or comfortably in the space now, and then brainstorm ways in which you could solve those issues when planning your new kitchen design.
Here are some other questions to ask yourself when planning your kitchen renovation:
- Are you a casual cook, or more of a gourmet chef? If you aren’t a sophisticated cook, then pricey, advanced appliances may be overkill—and a waste of money.
- Do you host gatherings in your kitchen, or often have several people assisting with meal preparation? If so, you need a layout that allows for multiple people to move around without getting in each other’s way.
- Are you a fan of buying in bulk, and stocking up for the season in advance? If the answer is yes, you will need to include ample storage space in the design.
- Are there any safety issues to consider? This would be particularly relevant if your household includes young children or elderly relatives.
- Is the lighting in your current space lacking? Think about how you would improve it in your ideal scenario. Is task lighting something that would come in handy? You may also want to consider how the addition or relocation of windows might help make the space feel brighter and more open.
- If you have kids or teens in the household, would it be helpful for them to have a space that is comfortable and accessible for them? This might include a snack area or breakfast nook, or perhaps a seating area of stools at the counter.
These are just a few of the basic questions you will want to consider as your formulate your plan for your new kitchen space. Your kitchen remodeling contractor will likely be able to suggest many others as they help your brainstorm ideas. RW Remodel can help you strategize a plan for your perfect Phoenix kitchen remodel.