Converting Your Basement Into Your Dream Office
Did you know that your basement can be one of the best places in your house for a home office? With the right planning – and professional support – your basement can be converted into the perfect home office.
Where to Begin
When planning your home office remodeling project in Phoenix, the first thing you need to decide is how much space you want it to use in your basement. If you have a large basement, for example, you could design a separate room for your home office, and the rest of the basement can then be used as a rec room, fitness area, playroom or other type of entertainment room.
Here are six things to keep in mind during the planning stages:
1. Start visualizing. Write down a list of everything you need in your home office: computers, phone lines, furniture, storage units, appliances and more. You might want to consider adding a bathroom if you do not have one already in the basement, as you (and possibly your clients) will be spending time down there. Also, consider adding a small fridge, a microwave, a coffee maker and a cabinet for food storage. If you will have regular clients visiting, design a “waiting room” that includes comfy couches or chairs, a coffee table and coat rack.
2. Sketch it out. Estimate the measurements of your basement area. Note: Some basements are challenging to measure due to appliances, pipes and pillars. Don’t worry, your contractor can perform accurate measurements when the time comes. Plan to use adequate and abundant lighting, especially in task areas. And if you do not have a door or a window, this is definitely the time to add one.
3. Check local building codes. Check your local building codes for details like current specifications for egress windows, electricity, fire safety rules and so on. This will ensure that your project is up to code, or you could face fines.
4. Step aside and let the professionals do the job. A good remodeling contractor will keep you updated and informed as the work progresses. If you are not comfortable with the way the job is being performed, or if you have any questions, be sure to talk to the individual in charge of the work crew.
5. Final inspection. When your basement home office is complete, always thoroughly inspect the area before bringing in the furniture and equipment. Compare it with your list to make sure everything you discussed is there. Test the electrical outlets and make sure everything is working properly.
6. Furnish, decorate and enjoy. Finally, bring in the furniture and office equipment, assigning a place to every piece. Organize office supplies and materials. Install computers, printers, phones, small appliances and other equipment. This is the time to install window treatments, hang pictures, and bring in plants and other décor to give your basement home office its finishing touches.
Award-winning home designs
The Republic West Remodeling team has produced award-winning designs over the past 18 years, and our experience in the industry is unmatched. Everything we stand for –dependable service, quality craftsmanship, attention to detail, code of ethics, timeliness and cleanliness – far exceeds anything the remodeling industry has ever seen.
Want to transform your basement into your dream home office? Contact Republic West Remodeling today for the highest quality luxury home remodeling in Phoenix.